Chiropractic adjustments, also known as spinal manipulations, are a popular alternative medicine used to treat various musculoskeletal conditions, including back pain, neck pain and headaches. One of the most common questions patients have about chiropractic adjustments is how long they can expect the effects to last. In this article, we will discuss the factors that can affect the duration of the effects of chiropractic adjustments and provide some general guidelines on how long these effects may last.
What are the Benefits of Chiropractic Adjustment?
Chiropractic adjustments, also known as spinal manipulations, are a form of alternative medicine that can provide a variety of benefits for patients. Some of the most common benefits of chiropractic adjustments include:
- Relief of pain: One of the most common reasons patients seek chiropractic care is to relieve pain, especially back and neck pain. Chiropractic adjustments can help to alleviate pain by realigning the spine and reducing muscle tension and inflammation.
- Improved mobility: Chiropractic adjustments can help to improve mobility and flexibility by restoring proper alignment to the spine and joints. This can help to reduce stiffness and increase the range of motion.
- Reduced inflammation: Chiropractic adjustments can help to reduce inflammation in the body, which can lead to improved overall health and well-being.
- Enhanced athletic performance: Athletes of all levels can benefit from chiropractic adjustments, as they can help to improve flexibility, reduce injury risk and enhance overall athletic performance.
- Improved nerve function: Chiropractic adjustments can help to improve nerve function by removing interference from misaligned vertebrae. This can lead to improved bodily function and overall health.
- Relief from headaches and migraines: Chiropractic adjustments are shown to help alleviate headaches and migraines by reducing muscle tension and restoring proper alignment to the spine.
- Improved sleep: Chiropractic adjustments can help to improve sleep by reducing pain and muscle tension, which can lead to a more restful night’s sleep.
What can Affect How Long an Adjustment will Last?
The duration of the effects of chiropractic adjustments can vary depending on a number of factors, including the individual’s condition, the number of adjustments received and the overall health of the patient. Adjustments can be compared to exercise; the more quality exercise you perform, the more fit your body will be. Initial care for a new chiropractic patient is more frequent and then care is spread out further between appointments as the body learns to hold the new pattern or correction(s). A patient with chronic back pain may experience longer-lasting effects from chiropractic adjustments than a patient with acute pain. Additionally, patients who receive regular adjustments typically experience longer-lasting effects than those who receive occasional adjustments.
Another factor that can affect the duration of the effects of chiropractic adjustments is the specific technique used. Dr. Ehrmantraut, DC, SFDN has done many comparison experiments with adjustment types and has found, for him, that hands-on techniques tend to hold longer than the super low-force techniques using an adjustment instrument. The adjustments given with an adjusting tool will make positive progress in most cases, albeit slower improvement has been assessed by Dr. Ehrmantraut. Hands-on adjustments can be very low force in and of themselves, if the patient can relax and trust the care of the practitioner.
The Average Length for an Adjustment
In general, patients can expect the effects of chiropractic adjustments to last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks or months. However, some patients may experience longer-lasting effects, especially if they continue to receive regular adjustments. It is important to note that while chiropractic adjustments can provide significant relief from pain and discomfort, they are not a cure for underlying conditions. Therefore, it is important for patients to maintain a healthy lifestyle and continue to receive regular adjustments to maintain the benefits of the treatment.
It is also important to note that while chiropractic adjustments can be a safe and effective form of treatment, they are not appropriate for everyone. Patients with certain medical conditions may be at increased risk of complications from spinal manipulations. Doctors, in this case, will assess if there is an alternative treatment better suited for that patient. Therefore, it is important to consult with a chiropractor before beginning any chiropractic treatment.
In conclusion, the duration of the effects of chiropractic adjustments can vary depending on a number of factors, including the individual’s condition, the number of adjustments received, and the overall health of the patient. However, patients can typically expect the effects of chiropractic adjustments to last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks or months, depending on treatment approach. Regular adjustments tend to result in longer-lasting effects. It is important to consult with a chiropractor or other healthcare professional before beginning any chiropractic treatment.
If you’re interested in seeing a chiropractor or receiving a chiropractic adjustment, visit us at one of our offices in Erie or in Longmont. The Chiropractic Center of Erie and Chiropractic Center of Longmont treat the body holistically with our award-winning treatment process, in fact, we have been voted “Best of the West” twelve times and our aim is to help your body achieve and maintain optimal performance.
We specialize in treating patients suffering from spinal pain and many other maladies and have helped several patients find relief without needing surgery. If you’d like to learn more about chiropractic care in Longmont or Erie or have questions about what to expect during your first chiropractor visit in Erie or Longmont, call our offices today at 303-828-3000 or 303-772-1950!
[/vc_column_text][vc_btn title=”Contact Us” color=”success” align=”center” link=”url:https%3A%2F%2Feriechiro.com%2Fcontact-us%2F|title:Contact%20Us||”][vc_btn title=”Return to Chiro Connection” color=”sky” align=”center” i_icon_fontawesome=”” button_block=”true” add_icon=”true” link=”url:https%3A%2F%2Feriechiro.com%2Fchiro-connection%2F|title:Return%20to%20Chiro%20Connection”][/vc_column][/vc_row]